TEMPLATE ERROR: Unknown runtime binding: else in widget Tales of the Trail Goddess: iPods and Trail Running

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

iPods and Trail Running

Scott Dunlap's blog has an interesting entry. He talks about iPods and trail running, and whether these should be banned from trail races.
I'm a newby when it comes to trail running, I've been doing it less than 2 years, and I haven't taken my iPod along for a trip...yet. I am usually by myself, and I want to make sure I hear animals, or horses when I am on a bridle path, or other people around me.
I can see how it could be helpful in a 100 mile race though, to get you through some rough patches.
I do wear my iPod pretty much for every road run I do. I try to keep the volume down, and I am pretty vigilant. But my roads are pretty deserted out here in the country. I may slip off the earphones whens I approach a house (also sparse here) so I can hear/see a dog that might come at me.
How do you manage your iPod use?

8 comments:

Brad said...

I use my iPod a lot while running. I keep the volume at a low level so I can be alert of the things around me. I wish other people would use this common sense! I think people should be allowed to use them, as long as the volume is kept low, or that one ear must remain uncovered.

olga said...

I read his link and comments. I do run with music for the last 7 months or so and love it. I understand concerns, but don't understand the DNF threat by RD. That scares me, and now I have to make sure to check the fine print.

Sarah said...

I haven't run with music, but I'm thinking of getting a nano.

I probably wouldn't use it on the roads and there are only certain trails I would use it on.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

I don't. I'm too much of a scaredy-cat. I want to hear every last little sound around me, so I can be prepared with my pepper spray, in case someone or thing wants to attack me. I've longed for music on a run, though. I think it'd be good motivation (if I could only get through the fear).

Ryan said...

I do all my running in the city with my Samsung Yepp cranked; you just have to be aware of your surroundings!! When I run trails I leave the gadgets at home...like you I like to take in the sounds of the forest =)

~gnatty~ said...

hi kim! no music on trails for me. i try to dif within myself and talk to other people. as for roads, i use it at a volume which still allows me to hear what's going on in my surroundings. at night i wear a headlamp, a reflective vest, and a red blinking light in back, in case i don't hear a bicycle coming. (they insist on riding fast at night without lights - not all of them, thank god). congrats on your 50k in december and your 50 / 61 milers! what a nice way to enter the world of ultrarunning. i'll be doing my first 50 miler in january. :-)
cheers,
~nattie~

Timber said...

Being a dog, I just listen to my big tongue swing around, but...., I have heard my mom talk and say that she is afraid to start listening to music as she does not want it to be a necessity when she runs and so that she can stay present with her natural surroundings.....crickets chirping, wind blowing, her feet pounding on the trails, her heart beating......

Scott Dunlap said...

Thanks for the link, and great comments!

One thing I didn't mention about my iPod use. I find that if I run with the iPod, my feet stomp more since I can't hear it. That's more impact and more energy. So I try to make sure I mix it up, some with and some without.

Cheers, SD