TEMPLATE ERROR: Unknown runtime binding: else in widget Tales of the Trail Goddess: Getting There

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Getting There

I'm Bib 219. I have the drop bags packed. I have now itemized the drop bag contents. I will have my little card with my drop bag contents on me, so when I come into an aid station, I know what I will have at my fingertips. Other than clothing items, the drop bags mirror each other with food and first aid stuff and socks and shoes.
On my drop bag list I also have some comments on there:

**Getting Dark at 7pm-have light and clothes
*Espresso Beans with Food in each bag

to be delighted that I have the health,
ability, drive, determination to do this;

Relax and enjoy the adventure.
Walk EVERY hill
No stopping- always keep moving forward.
No turning back- always keep moving forward.

Forward relentess motion.

Set small goals and move towards each one.
Then do it again.

Unstoppable. Unstoppable. Unstoppable.
Keep your great attitude, keep moving and don't waste time and all should be well

Kim
Have a safe trip and a good run. Take good care of your feet!
Happy Loops!
Roy

Keep your great attitude, keep moving and don't waste time and all should be well.

I also typed in "Regis Shivers". I think that will help me out tremendously.


Camping supplies are ready. The husband has some sort of socializing plans made for the weekend--I listened, but don't really care what he is doing (hey this race is about ME!!) I did mention I would like him to return to Umstead on Sunday with a cold beer in the cooler...heck I would probaly take a warm one, if I could even get a beer down at that point.

Other thoughts. I feel good. I haven't run in a week. That's fine, it's not going to kill me. I will get lots of miles in on Saturday. I have a very good mental attitude. Some writings and mantras from other runners have and will help come this weekend. One, from Chris, from the
Cool Running Ultra/Trail Forum really helped me out:

Merigayle and all Umstead runners- GOOD LUCK!
here is a cut and paste of my plan for Umstead last year. It worked very well for me and maybe will have some nuggets of value to you.
Relax and enjoy the adventure.
Walk EVERY hill
No stopping- always keep moving forward.
No turning back- always keep moving forward.
Hydration is key- drink one bottle of Accelerade per loop
make sure to urinate frequently.
No wasting time at the aid stations. In and out quickly.
Only sit down if there is a foot problem.
No discussion of not finishing.
Set small goals and move towards each one. Then do it again.
Eat food along the course. See attached list.
Take one salt tablet each loop.
Pacer to do my thinking for me.
Keep ahead of issues/problems.

to monitor-
-chaffing
-blisters, treat immediately!
-swelling of fingers/toes. Electrolyte imbalance.
-changing to dry shoes/socks.
-dry shirt.
-for aches try Trameel 1st, then Tylenol
Miles 66-69 are supposed to be most difficult mentally.
Never ask how I am feeling. We know how I’ll be feeling, now let’s think positive!
Keep me on pace. Do the math and be honest as to where we are.
Make sure pacer takes care of himself too.
Tylenol only. No Aleve.
Relax and enjoy the adventure.
Take lots of photos.
Change clothing for night run ahead of time as required.
Decide when we will need to take the flash lights.
Use espresso beans for a quick jolt in the middle of the night.
Absolutely NO quitting until we
Walk for ½ hour
Stop and sit for ½ hour
Discuss this and are in agreement that it’s impossible.
Looks like nice weather this year- Enjoy the adventure!

3 comments:

Josh said...

with so much great preperation you will be ready for anything! Knock em dead!

Sensationally Red said...

I love your determination and attitude! Forward motion! Go Girl!

cdnhollywood said...

You are ready! Enjoy your time out there, and celebrate your ability to take this on.

I just hope that the espresso beans are covered in chocolate, and not stuffed into a sandwich or something... :)