TEMPLATE ERROR: Unknown runtime binding: else in widget Tales of the Trail Goddess: How Long

Friday, April 06, 2007

How Long

How long a recovery does one take after their first 100 mile run? That's what this newby wants to know. I feel good. My quads are still stiff, my blisters are drying nicely. I haven't done any cardio all week long. Should I? I don't want to start up too soon and end up getting injured. This is my current dilemma. I'm going to root around on the ultra pages and see if there is mention on recovery. I'm also going to talk to my ultravet friends and see what they say.

Edited to say, I found a post already: http://www.ultrunr.com/recovery.html

1 comment:

mtnrunR said...

i say go with karl king's suggestions. he knows what he is talking about.

i think the biggest thing on recovery is the training going into a 100. the more you train the faster the recovery.

i am NEW TO ULTRA'S ALSO!!! so given that, i am not an expert by any means!!!

i ran my first 100 last year at States. Had a great run even though it was 110 degrees in the canyons and still 85 degrees at midnight! Yikes, don't want to do that again.

but i felt no soreness two days after the event. No, i didn't run. but going up and down stairs, getting out of bed in the middle of the night, was not a problem.

i ran a 50k three weeks after and was only one minute off my PR and i took almost 70 pictures during the run. i could feel the legs. they were a little heavy but i don't know if that was because it was run at 6000+ feet (i live at close to sea level) or because of running States just three weeks before.

I would go with Karl and say it takes at least 4 weeks though. He knows what he is talking about.

that is my uneducated opionion.
tom