TEMPLATE ERROR: Unknown runtime binding: else in widget Tales of the Trail Goddess: Post Race Blues

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Post Race Blues

Case of the Blahs



I guess it’s time for the race feel goodness to wear off. I woke up with a scratchy and sore throat, and general achiness. Ah, I guess the almost traditional cold coming on after the race. I’m pretty sure Mike gave it to me, thanks buddy!

I think the cold is making me feel tired. I’m tired with just the idea of running right now. Mike mentioned that maybe I would want to run the Burning River 100. I hadn’t even thought about that..after all, I don’t want to waste all that training. But I can’t even wrap my head around a 50K right now. I probably won’t do the Rattlesnake 50K, we may go visit friends that weekend.

I think I am just having that post race depression—I’ve had this goal for months, for about the last year. And now it’s over, and I didn’t even achieve my goal. At least this DNF stings less than Masochist, I guess since I did not drop from the race but was DQ’d for not meeting the time requirements. But it does still sting.
Now there is nothing special to do. I don't feel special. I don't have any goals. I'm not aweing people with my tales of 20 or 30 mile runs.

Well, I am off to wash floors. See? Four weeks ago I would have prepping for a long run, strapping on my waist pack, donning my socks and shoes and sweatband. What am I doing today? Washing floors.

12 comments:

KeepOnRunning said...

you could always strap on the waistpack, don the socks and shoes, put on the sweatband and.... do the floors :) Hey, it's better to look good than feel good, or so they say.

Kim said...

Sigh. Maybe I'll save that for when I clean the bathroom. But maybe I'll do that tomorrow, I will want to pace myself.

Meredith said...

Hi Kim!
How about the Northface Endurance race in DC? A bunch of us from CR are going for the 50K and 50M. :)

Mike P. said...

Kim,

I understand what you're going through. I dehydrated pretty severely and had to DNF after 60 miles on Saturday. I'm not taking this well either. Having said that, I couldn't be happier for all of the people we ran with on the training runs who made it.

I'm sure we'll look back one day at our early 100-mile struggles and laugh. But it's not too damn funny right now.

Best of luck.

Mike P.

Sensationally Red said...

My guess is that once you start feeling better, new goals will start to shape up and you'll perk up. I ALWAYS get the blues after a major race. Lingering post marathon soreness just bumms me out.

Josh said...

What?? You mean you ran 75 miles two days ago and you haven't gone out for a long run since? what is your problem, LOL. You know in a few days you wont be thinking like this anymore. And you will come to the conclusion that you DO want to run BR. Don't drive yourself crazy, you'll snap out of it.

Josh said...

P.S. Now don't forget to tell me the same thing when I have post race thoughts like this, lol.

Mike said...

Kim!

You will know what you need to do soon. The cost cutoff on the race is the 30th though...goes from 150 to 190.

I think after seeing Mo a little mo, that the BR course is very similar, if anything maybe SLIGHLTY less hilly. I didn't get to see the first 10 miles at mo...but I think the first 10 at BR are gentler.

You know I have your back on whatever you do! It WOULD be fun to toe the line with you at the start though....

And so very sorry about the cold. I would have rather not had it too...but...

Another thing, and you are probably working on it, but I was wondering what things you will work on next towards slaying Mohican next year? I have an email from Tom about MAF heartrate type training, and building aerobic base that is VERY interesting.

If I had that article a few months ago, I think I would have followed it up to BR...

Jack said...

Sounds like a little post race depression all right, but once you start running again it will fade away. Choose to enjoy the time of recovery, it will leave you stronger for the next challenge!

tony said...

Kim, as you know...it's ok and normal to be disappointed...you'll be just fine! Not reaching our goals only makes those of us who are driven and goal-oriented even tougher! Back in the day (mid 80's), it took a sub 2:50 effort to qualify for Boston Marathon. I ran 2:51 and 2:52 for 2 years, Spring and Fall just barely missing! Plenty of disappointment, but that made me more determined! If I quailified right away, I might have settled for where my ability was. But my failure and determination to do better got me down to 2:38. The same thing happened w/ Thomas Edison and electricity, and with Abe Lincoln. I believe the same thing will happen to you with your ultras!!
You're a champion to all of us already :-)

E-Speed said...

now wait a minute didn't you finish a 100 miler a few months ago? We know you can do the distance! You know you can do the distance!

It's okay to be upset about the DNF. I know I would be too. But you gave it your all and you will get your goal eventually.

Hope your feeling peppier soon!

Kathleen said...

Kim, consider doing the burning river. Take advantage of your conditioning. I'm make the trip up from Florida to do it. I haven't done a major trek since finishing Umstead.
Kathleen.