TEMPLATE ERROR: Unknown runtime binding: else in widget Tales of the Trail Goddess: Thinking of another Race

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Thinking of another Race

GEER 50k. The Great Eastern Endurance Run.

" The course will be run in the scenic George Washington National Forest "Blue Ridge Mountains" on predominately single track trails and forest roads. This is a challenging course with 15,062 feet of climb in the 100K and 8,808 feet of climb in the 50K."

The Blue Ridge Mountains in the fall...it would be pretty...it's around Charlottesville, where Monticello is, I've been wanting to visit...

Hmm. Same time as the Akron Marathon. But we also have the militaria show in Pittsburgh and may have out of town guests. I guess I may need to rethink this. I think the Akron Marathon was a good option because I could be there in two hours from my house, or about two hours from Pittsburgh if we were still there.

Yes, I am feeling much better and thinking of other races. I ran today again, 4 miles in the local park system, on an asphalt bike trail, but it was okay, not as hot as yesterday, and I had much more shade. Tomorrow I have an out of town meeting, so I may take my running clothes along and try and get a run in. My meeting ends just in time for rush hour traffic in Columbus, and it might be more useful running for one hour than spending that time fighting my way through traffic!

11 comments:

Mike said...

That sounds so awesome! You say it is the same day as the Akron though huh? I think I am going to have to choose the Akron this year....it is my hometown race...but in future years I may have to look that one up! It is beautiful down there, we fly there quite a bit.

Can't wait to see you and Josh (and did you see Rob is coming?)

Josh said...

I am thinking about the 100K at GEER. The Bel Monte 50k I ran a couple months ago was in GW National Forest. It is really beautiful, but I HATED all the rocks! The elevation is a challenge but it is concentrated into mountains as opposed to the rolling hills we are used to, which I like better. The RD's are really great, too. Do you really want to run a road marathon over this gem??

rick said...

15,000 ft. for a 100k, sounds like a real challenge. Man that would be a great 100k.

Jack said...

That sounds like a great race, quite a challenge too!

Kim said...

Cool! Rob is coming up for the Sat or Sun run?

KeepOnRunning said...

I ran the entire sweetwater 50K with 2 people who had both done GEER. they couldnt say enough positive things about it. They both said it is challenging but very fun. after 9 hours of running sweep with them, I think I had heard about the whole course, and it sounded so beautiful.

more evevation gain in that 60 miles than in all of mohican :) it's all about perspective huh.

Kim said...

That's why I am only thinking of the 50K option! If I do it, I might actually finish ahead of Josh doing the 100K. Gotta figure out what all is going on that weekend. Priorities! (Actually not my priorities, but priorities nonetheless..)

Caren said...

Kim, double check the course. When I was thinking about doing it, someone brought to my attention that the 100k is trail, but the 50k is primarily roads. That did it for me.

ErieTom said...

Monticello is awesome - go for it! Should be gorgeous.

ErieTom said...

$105 for the 100K, hmmm, I wonder if I can $swing$ it before the price goes up.

Josh said...

Tom,

That would be good training for McNaughton!!