TEMPLATE ERROR: Unknown runtime binding: else in widget Tales of the Trail Goddess: Today's Workout

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Today's Workout


Well, I am feeling much better today...

I got up this am, and grabbed a bunch of clothes, and headed off to Salt Fork State Park for a run. It was supposed to be a trail run, but then I looked at the shoes I had brought for the run:






I actually thought about wearing one trail shoe, and one road shoe, then noticed they were both right-foot shoes. Hmm. Good thing I had another pair of road shoes in the vehicle. So I decided on a road run. As I stopped to tie my shoe lace, I noticed in amusement THESE SHOES didn't match either!!!!!



I took this pic before the run. This is how I have been feeling lately. No secrets on my face!!




Now that I have gotten my heart monitor to work, I thought I would experiment with following the Maffetone method of training. Which is, you run slow to improve your pace over time. Anyways, something like that. I understand it much better than feeling like explaining it here, and heck, I already run slow. So my target HR should be 132 or below to stay in the fat burning zone. It was kind of hard to monitor-every time I glanced at my watch, it looked like I was around 130, but the Garmin says my average was 120, so I think I should have stepped up the pace a bit more.

Well, the run sucked for the first 1/2 mile. I really really really didn't want to be out there. Then I started the first hill climb/walk, and that distracted me. Then I took the first side road and went down it for a little bit. I was only planning on a four or five mile run.
By the time I found the picnic area, I was in a much better mood-and I knew I had a big down hill run back to my car.


I left this pic in because I hope not to be so FAT sometime here in the next year. Once I had defined arm muscles, I hope to get them back again.

Once home, I went directly to the basement and started Day One of the P90X workouts. I bought these in the spring, but that was just shortly before the Mohican, and never got into a routine with them. So I am now planning on getting through the P90X workouts, use the HR monitor with running, and see if I can increase my speed. Of course, eating right and drinking less will go along with this all. I don't have any monumental goals out there that are beyond my reach right now, so I feel like I can work on just getting the Trail Goddess into some improved physical health-which should lead to some improved mental health too!!

8 comments:

Runner Tammy said...

Hi Kim,

I just realized, your mismatched shoes obscure your mismatched socks:-)

I am sorry that you have been facing some running challenges recently. I know you will start to have better runs soon. And even today, after 1/2 mile of sucky run it improved.

And of course soon enough this oppressive heat and humidity will be gone....

Take care,
Tammy

Kim said...

Yes,I realised I had mismatched socks on to! This is because my Injinjis wear out so fast,I put two of the least worn out ones together.

malvs2walk said...

Glad you felt better after your run started!

Mike said...

Get it Kimba! Get it! I am with you in spirit trying to get my ME back. I watched the Dean K 505050 movie and saw myself in there near the end...in pretty good shape, and I am REALLY motivated by that! I want to try P90X too!

Tom said...

The shoe routine was really funny - thanks for making me laugh! At least they were all the same size (weren't they?)

Chef Bill Bailey said...

I got you beat. I ran the MI trail Marathon a few years ago and forgot to pack my trail shoes. I didn't have any running shoes. Luckily another runner brought an extra pair and let me borrow them

Luc said...

I LOL'ed on your POV pic of your feet. :) Glad your run cheered you up. I saw the P90x infomercial one late night during my dreaded insomnia and almost baught it; I'm anxious to read your thoughts as you get further into it. Keep it up and hope to see you soon...

ErieTom said...

Glad to see a smile on your face in at least one of those photos! Kimba is on her way back - yay ! Laughed over the shoes, thanks !