TEMPLATE ERROR: Unknown runtime binding: else in widget Tales of the Trail Goddess: Around the Block

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Around the Block

I woke up on Friday, after 8 solid hours of sleep, still tired. I knew my goal of a 25K run on Friday was not going to happen. So I decided on my little 11 miler, "around the block" instead. I like this loop, hilly and picturesque. I also like it because once you are out there, you're out there. And if you don't carry a phone (which I would have to be on top of the biggest hill for reception) you can't bail on the run.




Just a few random shots. This is around the corner. The hilltop has been logged in anticipation of some coal strip mining. I hate when this happens. I do love electricity. No, I don't want to start a coal mining debate. It is startling, though, how efficient the operators are about stripping. I'm just glad I don't have to look at this through my windows.



One of my favorite views, I still need a better picture of this. Peoli Church and Cemetery. Cy Young is buried here.


Legs started to feel much better in second half of the run. I had stashed water at the cemetery, which is about four miles from home, so I didn't have to worry about running out. I ran the 11.1 miles two minutes faster than I had in the winter. I was a little disappointed, I was thinking I had scored some huge PR, but given that I had ran 7 miles the evening before, I was okay with it.

Did you know Hammer had their Recoverite Drink in a chocolate flavor? Not bad. I prefer it over the strawberry. That and the ice bath did their trick. Today is a 50K run at Mohican State Park/Forest.

1 comment:

Sean Cunniff said...

The new blog format looks nice! I am always amazed by how pretty Ohio can be!